Saturday 19 January 2013

An Open Letter To Depeche Mode (And Their Tour Promoters)




Now I don’t claim to be Depeche Mode’s biggest fan, but they have been my favourite group for over 30 years now.

I remember being with my mate Darren in Woolworths and buying the Just Can’t Get Enough 12” single (by the way, the Schizo Mix still sounds fantastic!), and, then buying every 7” and 12” and cd single and album.  As far as I’m concerned they’re untouchable.

I have to admit that after Playing The Angel, quite possibly their finest album, Sounds Of The Universe was disappointing – in fact, I still haven’t bought it.  It was patchy, had some poor songs and even poorer production.  That said, my love of DM clearly rubbed off on my Autistic son who became a lover too.  He adores the Remixes albums and constantly plays them on his Media Player.  I made a pledge to him that the next time they toured, I’d take him to see them.  Yes, I know it’s a ‘risk’ taking him along to a loud, light flashing show, but even if he only lasted at the gig for five minutes, he would talk about it (seemingly) forever!

We both got even more excitable when news of their new album was announced at a Paris Press Conference in October, and, when I heard a preview of the track Angel Of Love I was pretty damned impressed.  For me, it sounds fantastic, and if the rest of the album is as good as that, then it promises to be superb and a return to form.

The tour was announced, and, the UK leg confirmed – one date in London.  Living near Manchester, travelling to a night gig, midweek with an 11 year old isn’t particularly plausible, so I waited for confirmation of more dates. 

October 26 2012 – more UK dates have been announced!  One more London date.  Yes, but there will be more right?  Manchester? Birmingham? Edinburgh? Not yet.  To date, I’m gutted. 

Alright, I’m being completely selfish, but, two dates at one end of the country, their home country, this isn’t right.  Heaven knows how any Scottish fans might feel. 

Come on lads, think about this one.  In case you hadn’t noticed, money is tight and a trip to London (probably requiring an overnight stay) isn’t even an option.


No comments:

Post a Comment